“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.”
- George Bernard Shaw -
"Unreasonable". This word often gives us a negative connotation. Someone who is stubborn, authoritative, and is someone who is often disliked by many. However, you can have these attributes to make changes, and be successful.
Who says being stubborn is always an obstacle to success? We can use the spirit of determination to support how this person can be successful.Thomas Edison was stubborn to failure. One of his famous quotes will justify why :
Results? Why, man, I have gotten lots of results! If I find 10,000 ways something won't work, I haven't failed. I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is often a step forward....
- Thomas Edison
Who says that being authoritative and being disliked by many will bring us negative change? When Adolf Hitler was ruling Germany, he sure clamped down on each aspect that he can grasp his attention on. People were leading hard lives but Germany eventually improved in terms of unemployment and technology.
In modern days, I feel that being an advocator of change, we need to gain support from the masses because after all it is a democratic world now (mostly), and that people now have more freedom to choose. In order for change to happen, we have to put in more work to convince the people that it is for the right cause and it truly must be, else an uncover will banish one's reputation rock bottom and never to be raised again.
In the second part of the lesson, we visited : Pessimism VS Time curve :
Prof shared that this could be applied to Relationships too!
Uniformed Optimism - Honeymoon period
Informed Pessimism - The obstacle of living with each other's difference
Informed Realism - Get married, realised that the commitment is for real now
Completion - Hopefully, ever after
To me, I feel that running a marathon could also be applied here too.
Uniformed Optimism - I felt fresh, i felt i could go on forever.
Informed Pessimism - The breathlessness, lack of water, fatigue is wearing me down as I do not see the end anywhere near. This is the crucial point because giving up here means everything is over, while persevering till the end spells something more positive.
Informed Realism - I see a sign that leads me to the end, or that I am at the half-way point. Now I have a much clearer information of where I am at now and how long will it take for me to finish it.
Completion - The end is there, objective achieved.
Session ratings : 9/10
+ The guest presenters were really good! Now that it reminds me of my upcoming presentation in the next lesson...
- Personally, not much qualms, maybe more videos?

No comments:
Post a Comment